Wednesday, July 31, 2013

The Mundane

Here I am...returning to the blogosphere after another lengthy absence.  I wish I could say I was off on wild adventures, whisked away to an island paradise, relaxing at a luxury spa.  Turns out, it was normal...ordinary...mundane.....life.  Well, to be honest, not much ordinary about it, but it's all a part of life.

Tonight I found myself in the company of a group of people connected by a common denominator.  While I cannot speak for the group as a whole, I am sure the majority of them would welcome some sort of normalcy or ordinary.   

The world spins around us and in spite of us.  What an awesome ride.  Filling us with joy and grief, gains and losses, triumphs and failures.  It is true there are things in our lives that are totally beyond our control.  Events and people that throw us for a loop no matter how much we try to maintain normal.  However, how much do we over-complicate things in our own minds, when we think that worry and fear may consume us?  How many of us create drama at our own hands?  There are times in our lives where we'd welcome ordinary ourselves. 

I hear (sometimes too often) that God only gives us what we can truly handle.  Every once in a while I just want to say "Gee, Lord, I appreciate your confidence in me, but how about a little slack today."   A topic of discussion within tonight's group, was the presence of another person entering our lives at a time when perhaps we needed it the most.  By some gift of God, we find ourselves in the midst of someone special.  Maybe that new presence in our lives is just God's reminder that there are other people there to pick up the slack with us.  They are probably just an ordinary person, but probably the voice to remind to release the hurt, unfortunate and painful.  Letting go...letting God.

Rejoice in the mundane.  Embrace the uneventful.  For it is in the simplicity of everyday life that we have the opportunity to find the truest gifts.  Our lives and the world are far from ordinary, but perhaps in those times we are able to realize just how fortunate we are, how far we've come...and how far we've yet to go.   Today I give thanks for a little bit of normalcy.

No comments:

Post a Comment